The link between organisation culture and performance is firmly established in the research on organisation change and corporate strategy, and in case studies on high performing organisations.
The experiences of organisations that have successfully achieved high performance using change interventions such as, Systemic Change, Total Quality Management and Lean Working in achieving high performance show the need to build aligned cultures that enhance organisation effectiveness at all levels.
From extensive evidence it is clear that organisational cultures not only influence the values, attitudes and behaviours of employees, but helps or inhibits the organisation’s capacity to achieve bottom line results, performance and other benefits of change.
Culture influences key aspects of performance such as people management, innovation, customer focus, adaptability to change and organisational learning. There is a strong correlation between a positive organisational culture and having an engaged and satisfied workforce.
A key learning point from high performing organisations is their drive to achieve exemplary results and have in place a positive and enabling culture; having one or the other is neither adequate nor valued by such organisations.
ODRL’s approach to supporting organisations in the culture change journey includes the following:
- Visualising the ideal culture
- Discovering the current culture
- Developing the hallmarks of the desired culture
- Identifying what aspects need to change
- Developing practical actions for change
- Implementing culture change actions
- Monitoring progress
ODRL offers well-developed methodologies for diagnosing organisation culture and determining its alignment to the context and strategy. The Organisational Strengths Profile (OSP©ODRL), is a comprehensive tool designed to develop the organisation cultural profile.
Key benefits of OSP©ODRL
- Provides both a snapshot and detailed information about the ‘current’ culture, to include working practices, leadership styles, people development/management, and performance
- Provides solid baseline data for comparisons at a future date
- Discovers detailed information of strengths and areas for improvement
- Provides a platform to prioritise interventions and set up a pragmatic process of culture change
- Seeks contributions from all levels, as part of a successful inclusive process
- Incorporates an in-built evaluation process
The baseline profile enables us to provide organisations with a tangible action plan to bring about and sustain the desired culture. Our action plans have clear outcome measures; we support the progress of culture change by conducting quality reviews on a continuous basis. The OSP©ODRL can be administered regularly to develop the evidence base of culture change over time.
We offer the following services:
- Baseline profiles of current and desired culture
- Culture change strategy and plan of action
- Design and delivery of training programmes on culture change for internal change leaders and agents
- Robust action plans to drive and sustain the desired culture
- Implementation support to embed and reinforce the desired culture